Tuesday 6 October 2015

L'Oreal Infallible Matte vs Rimmel Lasting Finish | IndiaJasmine



There are so many great drugstore foundations, but which are actually worth buying?


Today I'm going to be putting two great drugstore foundations to the test, almost like a duel. I'm going to really be weighing up the pros and cons of each one, so that you can decide which one is better suited for you!
With that said, lets begin.
 
Colour
 
L'Oreal Infallible:
On the website it says that this foundation comes in only 6 different shades. However, I'm sure that I've seen more shades in Superdrug before. The isn't a huge colour range, especially for people with darker skin. However, if you have lighter skin this could be the foundation of you.
 
A big thing to note with this foundation is that all the shades that I have seen are very pink and cool toned. Therefore, if you have yellow undertones then you may want to stay clear.
However, if you have a more neutral tone to your skin then you might just be able to get away with it, but I would definitely test the foundation in store first.

 
Rimmel Lasting Finish:
There are seven different shades to this foundation, so beating the L'Oreal but only just. Again, these shades aren't towards the darker end of the spectrum so are probably only suitable for lighter skin tones.
Luckily, these foundations are more neutral and yellow toned so they won't enhance any redness or blemishes that you have on you skin, like cooler toned foundations tend to do.
Obviously I still recommend testing the foundation first, just to make sure it's the right shade and has a matching undertone.
 
 
Coverage
 
L'Oreal Infallible:
On the back of the bottle, it states that this foundation is of a high coverage and I completely agree with this! One pump allows me to coverage all imperfections on my face and even out my skin tone.
 
 However, I do go in with a little more concealer around my nose and my eyes because it can leave a little redness showing through and blue tones under my eyes.
 
It doesn't go cakey to begin with, but if you apply a reasonably thick layer all in one go, it can cake up a little around my nose and between my eyebrows.
If you apply the foundation in some thin layers then you don't have this problem at all.
 
 
Rimmel Lasting Finish:
The coverage of the Lasting Finish also states to be full coverage, but I don't agree as much with this.
I would say that it is a medium coverage, but buildable!
 
It covers under the eyes pretty well, but I still tend to go in with a little Rimmel Wake Me Up to perfect any dark blue tones. Also, this foundation does coverage blemishes but, again, concealer can obviously help to counteract them a little more.
 
Again, it can start to go a little cakey if you apply a really thick layer all at once. So make sure to apply thinner layers once or twice to easily avoid this from happening.


Finish:
 
L'Oreal Infallible:
As you can probably tell from the title of this foundation being 'L'Oreal Infallible Matte Foundation', it is very mattifying! And trust me, when I say matte, I mean matte.
 
If you have any dry patches to your skin then I wouldn't recommend this because it will cling to them, dry them out even more and enhance the texture.
I have oily skin and I still have to put quite a bit of moisturiser onto my skin before applying this, otherwise I know that I'll get that 'botox' feeling later on.
 
I would also recommend using ether a illuminator or dewy primer underneath to keep that natural glow and slight highlighted effect. The Mac Cream Colour Base in Shell/Luna is great for this. However, a more expensive alternative is the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Liquid.
 
Rimmel Lasting Finish:
I wouldn't class this as a matte or dewy foundation. I would probably say its a satin finish, which is somewhere in between. It's not drying on the skin but does feel matte, however, it gives a slight healthy glow.
Therefore, it would be good for both drier and oilier skin, if set with a powder. 
 
I wouldn't say that this needs any sort of illuminator underneath but using one could look really pretty on dry skin types.
 
Application
 
L'Oreal Infallible:
I feel like the only major thing that lets this foundation down is the application process.
Because of the fact its matte and drying, it means that applying it can take time and quite a bit of effort, along with blending.
 
I start with using my Zoeva Silk Finish brush, which is a round topped buffing brush. I obviously use this to buff the foundation all over my skin and it helps to apply it evenly. However, this technique can leave you with a lot of streaks and sink into any smile lines a little.
Therefore, I go back in with a damp beauty blender to almost water it down slightly. I can blend out anything that was sunk into lines and even out any streaks easily.


 
 

 
This process is easy to do, but takes a little more time than other foundations I have.
 
Rimmel Lasting Finish:
The application of this product is pretty long compare to the others I own.
I can use my Zoeva Silk Finish brush, which is a rounded buffing brush as I said before, or use my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, which is a bit flatter.
 
This foundation does leave streaks on your skin but does blend in quite well.
Also, I thought I would just let you know that this foundation does smell kind of rank, not going to lie.

I have to go back in with a damp beauty blender after using this product because it gets rid of any streak and stops it becoming cakey around my eyebrows and nose.


 



Staying Power
 
L'Oreal Infallible:
This foundation will last about 6 hours before it begins to cake up and fade. However, nothing too dramatic.
It does definitely stay matte all day but some oil can begin to begin up in my t-zone sometimes. Nothing a little powder can't fix though!
 
Rimmel Lasting Finish:
I would say that this foundation doesn't last as long as the Infallible Foundation, It will last around 4 an a half hours before becoming shiny and separating a little on my chin.
All you need to do is blend it in a little with your finger and your good to go, although it can get a little annoying.
 
It also does fade a little in my t-zone, but again nothing to dramatic or noticeable. My main problem with this is the amount of shine it cannot control throughout the day.
 
Packaging
 
L'Oreal Infallible:
I know that this doesn't really matter for most people, but I thought that I would add it as an extra section just for a little more detail and those of you who are keen travellers and always on the go.
 
I like the fact that this packaging is a plastic tube instead of a glass bottle because it means that when travelling it cannot smash or crack, spilling the product everywhere! The bottle can be easily wiped cleans but it does seem to collect dust and I'm not very sure why if I'm honest.
 
Luckily, this foundation has a squeezey pump, which is amazing because my holy grail Revlon Colorstay doesn't and is a complete pain to get out! It means that you don't waste any product and you can precisely choose how much foundation you want to use.
 
Also, the screw top lid means that no product can escape and it's easy to fit on quickly.

 
Rimmel Lasting Finish:
This product is a little harder to travel with because the bottle is made of glass. However, it doesn't collect dust or dirt and the packaging looks quite professional.

Again, there is a pump so you can control how much foundation you get and don't have to waste any!
Also, the lid doesn't screw on but just pops onto the top easily.
 
 
Price
 
L'Oreal Infallible:
In Superdrug this foundation is £7.99, which is cheaper than the version for drier skin. I think that this is an amazing price for such a high coverage foundation. It's definitely worth the money as its a very reasonable price for such a good product.
 
Rimmel Lasting Finish:
 From Superdrug, this foundation is currently £7.99, which is the same price as the L'Oreal foundation. Therefore, it's really up to you and your skin type for which one you go for.
I feel like this foundation could be £1 or £2 cheaper but the price is still alright for the quality of the product!

Buy the foundations here:
L'Oreal Infallible Matte
Rimmel Lasting Finish

Comment below which one you think is most suited for you!
 
India Jasmine


No comments:

Post a Comment